Friday, November 13, 2015

Cast Iron thougths of Christmas

Someone asked me what I might want for Christmas.  I don’t often think of what I want.  It was a very difficult question to answer.  So, I told them if I thought of anything specific I’d let them know.  That was a few weeks past.  When it came to mind I’d think about it--”what would I like...what could I use?”.  Alas, life would take over and the thought train dissipated as quickly as any other daydream.

Today was a pickup day, a day or sorting and organizing, walking through the abode, spying what was out of place, tasks that needed attention, and being diligent in accomplishment.  During these endeavors I noted that my preferred fufu (my signature fragrance) was just less than not.  I thought--in my pickup mode--“Oh, that could be a nice gift” and went on to the next project.  Those projects combined with some for a couple of others consumed so much of my day that I found myself out running errands between 5:00 and 6:00 PM.  For someone who does not readily partake of rush hour traffic going out at that time on a Friday evening--on Friday the 13th--of an event-filled weekend, was just absolutely absurd!  During the drive home from this arduous adventure, I’m thinking chill--get home, get unloaded, get in the kitchen, begin preparing dinner and ‘yeah”, Gordon Lightfoot channel on Pandora as I cook--”Oh, yeah, my cell phone speaker sucks!  It would be nice to have a nice speaker dock for Christmas”.  And that thought left as soon as I pulled in and was accomplishing.

As the cast iron heats on the stove I’m leisurely chopping onions, peppers, then tomatoes, and garlic...life is good.  My mind wanders to the question again--Christmas, what do I want?.  I thought about the fufu, thought about the speaker dock, (while listening to a Yo-Yo Ma cd on my home stereo system).  Then I thought, no.  Things are so trite.  I want my family.  I want the familiar.  I want to see and watch my grand babies grow into their own.  I want community.  I want unity of our communes.  I want my babies--big and small--to know what I have known, to experience this world when a handshake and or a word was as binding as the judge’s hammer.  I want my tribe--my peoples, my friends, my associates--to be of one accord seeking union in and relishing in tranquility, peace, and love, endeavoring to educate the small peoples in earnest.  I want to commune with my deceased loved ones, my mother, my Hector, my sister, my father, my baby, and the others. I want the ideal! 

So now the pot is simmering as I continue with my tasks, Christmas is approaching, and I have plans for tomorrow.  Life is good.  All is well.

No comments: